Thursday, August 4, 2016

Bird Talk



Hello !

 
 A few years ago I was up at the Alligator Farm in St. Augustine, Florida.
In March, some of the wild birds fly into the swamp at the Alligator Farm. They
 build their nests, mate, have babies and raise them there.  By the end of June the babies have fledged and both the babies and parents have left until the next year! 
 
In this nest of Great Egrets the babies were squabbling among themselves. As I stood there and watched them I realized that the 2 older babies were trying to shove the runt out of the nest. The runt steadfastly refused.  The mother did not want any part of this...so she turned her back.  I came back 3 weeks later and all 3 of the babies (which were nearly full grown) were still in the nest. I was happy to see this!
 
I had observed another nest and actually saw the mother shove the runt out of the nest. The baby just happened to fall on another limb of the tree. It was weaving back and forth. I was standing so close I could have reached out and put the baby back into the nest. I knew what was happening was just a part of nature. There were alligators in the swamp at the base of the tree just waiting for a good meal.  There was also a ranger standing next to me. I had to hold my hands behind my back and the tears just streamed down my face. The ranger looked at me and said, "Don't even think about it." I had to leave. I realize that there are some sorry parts of nature.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting storytelling, Adele.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's heart moving for me to observe first-hand the bird's behavior in nature.

      Delete